Walking: Trim your waistline, improve your health
Ready to reap the benefits of walking? Here’s how to get started — and stay motivated.
By Mayo Clinic Staff
Can you really walk your way to fitness? You bet! Get started today.
Know the benefits
Physical activity doesn’t need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk can help you live a healthier life.
For example, regular brisk walking can help you:
- Maintain a healthy weight and lose body fat
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, cancer and type 2 diabetes
- Improve cardiovascular fitness
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve muscle endurance
- Increase energy levels
- Improve your mood, cognition, memory and sleep
- Improve your balance and coordination
- Strengthen immune system
- Reduce stress and tension
The faster, farther and more frequently you walk, the greater the benefits. For example, you may start out as