Breast calcifications are calcium deposits in breast tissue. They seem as white spots or flecks on a mammogram.
Breast calcifications are frequent on mammograms, and they are particularly widespread soon after age 50. Whilst breast calcifications are typically noncancerous (benign), specified styles of calcifications — such as tight clusters with irregular styles and high-quality look — could show breast most cancers or precancerous adjustments to breast tissue.
On a mammogram, breast calcifications can look as macrocalcifications or microcalcifications.
- Macrocalcifications. These show up as huge white dots or dashes. They are pretty much usually noncancerous and demand no further testing or follow-up.
- Microcalcifications. These clearly show up as fantastic, white specks, similar to grains of salt. They are commonly noncancerous, but selected styles can be an early indicator of most cancers.
If breast calcifications appear suspicious on your preliminary mammogram, you will be known as again for extra magnification sights to get a closer glance at the calcifications. If the next mammogram is nevertheless worrisome for cancer, your medical doctor may perhaps endorse a breast biopsy to know for confident. If the calcifications look noncancerous, your health practitioner could recommend returning to your typical annually screening or have you return in six months for a limited-expression comply with-up to make certain the calcifications are not changing.
April 28, 2021
- Ikeda DM, et al., eds. Mammographic analysis of breast calcifications. In: Breast Imaging: The Requisites. 3rd. ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 17, 2018.
- What does the medical professional look for on a mammogram? American Most cancers Culture. https://www.most cancers.org/cancer/breast-cancer/screening-checks-and-early-detection/mammograms/what-does-the-doctor-search-for-on-a-mammogram.html. Accessed Dec. 17, 2018.
- Esserman LJ, et al. Diagnostic analysis of females with suspected breast cancer. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Dec. 17, 2018.
- Mammograms: What to know before you go. American Most cancers Modern society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/screening-assessments-and-early-detection/mammograms/mammograms-what-to-know-just before-you-go.html. Accessed Dec. 17, 2018.
- Pruthi S (expert view). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 14, 2019.
- Joe BN, et al. Breast biopsy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed Dec. 17, 2018.