What drug is Ambroxol? Ambroxol is a drug that functions to thin sputum. Ambroxol is commonly used to treat respiratory problems associated with excess mucus in the respiratory area.
Name : Ambroxol
Therapeutic Class : Expectorant products (phlegm diluents) and Cough
Trade Names : Ambril, Brommer 30, Bronchopront, Broncozol, Broxal, Epexol, Extropect, Interpec, Lapimuc, Limoxin, Molapect, Mucera, Â Mucopect, Mucos, Mucoxol, Mukinol, Nufanibrox, Roverton, Silopect, Sohopect, Sohopect Forte, Transbroncho, Transmuco.
- Ambroxol Tablet: Each Ambroxol tablet contains 30 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride.
- Ambroxol Elict: Each 5 ml (1 measuring spoon) contains ambroxol hydrochloride 30 mg.
- Ambroxol Syrup: Each 5 ml (1 measuring spoon) contains 15 mg ambroxol hydrochloride.
- Ambroxol Drops: Each 1 ml contains 15 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride.
Each drug certainly has different functions, including ambroxol. More specifically, the function of the drug ambroxol is to cure or relieve this disease:
As we know, bronchitis is an infection that causes inflammation of the bronchial tubes. A person suffering from bronchitis will often cough with mucus which can even change color.
The next disease that can be treated with the drug ambroxol is bronchiectasis. This disease may be somewhat foreign to some people. Keep in mind that bronchiectasis makes the bronchial tubes thick and dilate, so that the lungs will have difficulty clearing mucus.
In addition, diseases that can be treated with the drug Ambroxol are asthmatic bronchitis which is an inflammation of the respiratory tract. As the name implies, asthmatic bronchitis occurs when bronchitis and asthma occur simultaneously. Of course the dose of ambroxol is also important.
Still associated with chronic bronchitis, this disease occurs due to a chronic condition of the lungs which is blocked, resulting in widening.
Finally, tracheobroncitis is an inflammatory condition in the throat that is caused by viruses, bacterial infections, or even cigarette smoke.
After knowing what diseases can be cured by ambroxol, of course we also have to know the right dose of ambroxol.
Ambroxol is a mucolytic agent and is prescribed for a variety of respiratory diseases, such as emphysema bronchitis pneumoconiosis, chronic pulmonary inflammatory conditions, tracheobronchitis (respiratory tract), bronchiectasis, bronchitis with asthma bronchospasm.
Adult dose of Ambroxol
First we discuss first about the dose of ambroxol for adults.
The recommended dose to be taken is 30-120 mg / day or divided into 2-3 doses. Furthermore, the administration of ambroxol in adults needs to be adjusted to the severity of the disease and the response of the body.
Dose of Ambroxol Children
Ambroxol drugs can also be given to children. The following dose of ambroxol children according to age:
- Children aged 5â € “12 years: Â · 3 times a day 1/2 tablet.
- Children aged 2â € “5 years: 3 times a day 7.5 mg.
- Children under 2 years: 2 times a day 7.5 mg.
Surely the dose of ambroxol can be adjusted according to the severity of the disease. In addition, the dose of child ambroxol can be reduced to 2 times a day for treatment for a long time.
- Hypersensitivity ( allergic to this drug)
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Ambroxol category for pregnant women: Category C.
Animal reproduction studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits can occur in drug use in pregnant women even though they have potential risks.
Types of drug categories for pregnancy:
- Category A : Generally acceptable, has been through research in pregnant women, and shows no evidence of fetal damage.
- Category B : May be accepted by pregnant women, has been through research in experimental animals but there is no direct research evidence in humans.
- Category C : Use carefully. Research in experimental animals shows risk and there is no direct research in humans.
- Category D : Used if there are no other drugs that can be used, and in life-threatening conditions.
- Category X : Don’t use it in pregnancy.
- NA Category : No information.
How to Use Ambroxol Medication Is:
The use of Ambroxol tablets for consumption by mouth, with food.
Warnings and Precautions
Attention is needed for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Side effects of the drug Ambroxol are:
- Mild effects of gastrointestinal , runny nose and allergic reactions that cause a reddish rash, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting , constipation, loss of appetite, trembling, or fatigue may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor immediately
- Remember that the doctor has prescribed this medication because he has judged that the benefits to you outweigh the risks of side effects. Many people using this drug do not have serious side effects.
Store it at room temperature, keep it away from children and pets. Do not flush the medicine into the toilet or do not pour it into the canal unless instructed to do so. Dispose of this product when it expires or is no longer needed. Consult the pharmacist or the local drug waste disposal party.